Friday, May 2, 2008

IT'S MAY FINALLY :)

OK well...MAY is finally here and I have 21 more days before my chicks get here :)  They are now"INEGG" (its what I call it anyhow) which means they are now growing into my baby chicks in the hatchery I bought them from. 21 days after they are set into the incubator,  they will hatch out and they ship them soon after that while they are still absorbing their yolk sak.  They can live 2 days without food and water because of that so it's what allows the hatchery's to be able to ship them safely.  NOW as long as our weather doesn't get to cold they should make it to me alive and chirpin! 

Some other things I have learned about raising chickens is that Roo's are not something that people like alot of...I know we only want one.  Because they do tend to get pretty aggressive trying to protect "their" flock of hens. 

I found this video on BYC and thought I would show you all what happens to the baby male chicks because  they have no use in the industry because they don't lay eggs :( 

WARNING:  this is NOT fun to watch...I cried!  It's sad that they can't find a better way to make use of the baby male chicks.  If I were in that audience I can see me running up there saying "NO WAIT, I WILL TAKE THEM HOME"! 

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&sitesearch=&q=jamie+oliver+suffocates+chicks

DID YOU KNOW:  That a roosters has two warning calls...one for avian prey about to attack their hens and one for ground prey?  He makes two totally different sounds warning his hens to take cover.  NOW that is awesome!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will learn to speak chicken. Sometimes, when they arent paying attention and I see a hawk coming (one day it was a bald eagle!) I made the alarm sound and it woke up the roos to what was going on and they started making the noise too. I will have to tape some sounds that Phoenix and I make together with each other...he does it best with me. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't believe I will watch that video. No offence meant to you, I used to raise layer hens and get them as chicks and I can't stomach what happens to the little roosters. I know that when a rooster spots a chicken hawk it will give a queer screech. I don't think I noticed what they do when anything is a threat on the ground. God gave them the knowledge to give those warning signs I suppose. Helen

Anonymous said...

I can't stand watching any videos where any kind of animal is hurt.  Enjoy your weekend.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Oh Carrie....I think I will pass on seeing the baby males hurt, I won't even watch any of those nature shows where Tigers kill other animals for their food!!! I will take your word for it that it's absolutely horrible...I think if we saw all the things that go on in slauter houses and other places in the name of "food" we would never have to worry about being fat again.
I'm excited for you to get started with this, I think it's going to be a great things for you guys! Plus, you can teach us Chicken talk!!!!

Pooh Hugs & Chicken Peeps,
Linda

Anonymous said...

That was very sad! I would run up there too. Probably not as quick as you but... LOL

3 weeks and you will be very busy. :)
Kallie